Iceland glacier lagoon or Jökulsárlón in Icelandic is a magnificent large glacier lagoon outlet of the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajökull.
The glacier lagoon is located in the southern part of Vatnajökull National Park in the eastern region of Iceland.
Jökulsárlón is one of Iceland’s natural wonders, and the nearby black beach called Diamond Beach, as the ice lying on it, looks like diamonds in the sunshine.
Thousands of tourists are drawn to the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon all year round to experience the icebergs, explore the glacier lagoon on boats, and frequently taking photos of seals that often visit the lagoon.
Iceland Glacier Lagoon Facts
- With Max depth of 248 meters, the lagoon is Iceland’s deepest lake.
- It takes approximately 5 hours to drive to the lagoon from Reykjavík.
- The icebergs in the glacier lagoon are composed of ice that is over 1,000 years old!
- Jökulsárlón has increased fourfold in size since the early 1970s.
- The glacier lagoon connects with the ocean and is therefore composed of a sea and freshwater mixture, which causes its particular color
- You can see seals in Jökulsárlón all year, but they gather to the mouth of the lagoon to catch fish in the wintertime.
Experiencing Jökulsárlón and seeing the amazing blocks of ice is highly recommended.
Location: Jökulsárlón, 785 Öræfi, east region Iceland.
Driving from Reykjavik takes approximately 4 hours and 50 minutes. (379 km).
The video above was shot with the Dji Mavic Air 2.
We have curated for your convenience a list of available tours and accommodation near this location. Click the buttons below for more information.
We love that you are curious and checking out this page now. We love to travel, research and create new content for people travelling to Iceland. You will see on this webpage buttons and banners that links that go to other websites and services. These links may be referred to as an affiliate link which means we could earn money if you end up clicking on one and purchase that service or product. The money we make through affiliate links helps us to continue researching and creating informative content for our users. If you choose to purchase tours, accommodation or other services through our affiliate links, it is much appreciated, thank you.